Two-factor authentication is a security feature. If you set up two-factor authentication, you’ll be asked to enter a special login code or confirm your login attempt each time someone tries accessing Instagram from a device we don’t recognize.
There are several two-factor authentication methods you can use with your Instagram account. To get started with two-factor authentication, choose either:
Why is two-factor authentication important for Instagram?
Hackers and identity theft? It’s no wonder why small businesses are nervous about the tech world. Not only is it intimidating to put your brand online, but you need to be very cautious with your login credentials and passwords. With the recent launch of our Instagram integration, we wanted to run through some of the basics of keeping your account secure while marketing online. One of the best ways to keep your accounts secure is with two-factor authentication.
Second, why is it important?
Two-factor authentication drastically reduces the chances of fraud, data loss, or identity theft. Passwords are the mainstream form of authentication, but they’re far from perfect.
According to Secure Swiss Data:
- 90% of passwords can be cracked in less than six hours.
- Two-thirds of people use the same password for all their accounts
- Sophisticated cyber attackers have the power to test billions of passwords every second.
Two-factor authentication creates a vital second barrier in the case that your password fails.
So how do I turn it on for my Instagram account?
- Go to your Instagram profile and click on Settings.
- Tap Privacy and Security and then scroll down and tap Two-Factor Authentication.
- Tap next to Authentication App, then tap Get Started.
- Choose where you want Instagram to send a security code when confirming the account.
- Instagram will send a 6-digit code to your phone or authentication app. Once you receive that code (it should happen within a few seconds) go back to the Instagram app, tap Next, and paste the 6-digit code to complete the process on that device.
We suggest using Two-Factor authentication, as it provides an extra security step in order to access your account. This way, besides asking for your username and password, Instagram will verify your identity by sending a unique code to your device.
This can be done by SMS (text message) or using an authentication app suggested by Instagram. Let’s go through both.
On mobile app:
- Go to your profile by clicking the bottom right corner icon. Then tap the three stripe icon on the top right and choose Settings > Security > Two-factor Authentication
You can now choose to your preferred authentication method:
- Two-factor authentication > Text message – If you go for Text Message, Instagram will send you a 6-digit code via text that you need to insert in the app. Make sure you save the recovery codes somewhere safe, you will need them if you lose access to the phone number you’re using.
- Two-factor authentication > Authentication App > Install App – If you decide to use an Authentication App you will need one of those apps installed on your phone. If you don’t have one yet you can tap Install App. After installing the app and following the instructions, enter the code that was generated from the new app in your Instagram. Keep this code safe as it will be needed every time you log into this account.
- Two-factor authentication > Authentication App > Set up manually – If you already have an authentication app and choose Set up manually , all you need to do is entering the key generated from Instagram into your authentication app. You will then get a 6-digit code that you will need to enter on Instagram.